This week, just a few stories about sunken ships, found communities, and the return of what was lost.
- These Viking artefacts and logboats have been found in Galway
Spearheads and battle axes are among the artefacts found in a submerged logboat dating to the 11th century. Article at The Journal.
- Howe's about that? Lost medieval hamlet is found on edge of Cambridge
The lost community of Howe's was apparently abandoned in the 15th century. Story by Chris Havergal at Cambridge News.
- Remnants of Sailendra dynasty allegedly found
Bricks, artefacts and signs of a waterway system indicate the presence of a civilization dating to about the 7th century. Article by Ainur Rohmah at The Jakarta Post.
- Getty Museum to return 12th century New Testament to Greece monastery
The manuscript had been stolen from the monastery more than half a century ago, and upon learning this, Getty is voluntarily returning it. Item by David Ng at the Los Angeles Times includes a fine photo.
- Sunken Portuguese galleon sighted in Java Sea
The galleons evidently sank in a storm in 1512. Article at AsiaOne.