Hildegard of Bingen was a German abbess who experienced extraordinary visions and wrote soaringly beautiful music, among many other things. Quotes that have no source stated have been attributed to her; I regret I cannot provide any further information than what is given here.
- O Holy Wisdom, Soaring Power, encompass us with wings unfurled,
and carry us, encircling all, above, below, and through the world.
--O Holy Spirit, Root of Life
- Every element has a sound, an original sound from the order of God; all those sounds unite like the harmony from harps and zithers.
- I, the fiery life of divine wisdom, I ignite the beauty of the plains, I sparkle the waters, I burn in the sun, and the moon, and the stars.
- The earth which sustains humanity must not be injured, it must not be destroyed.
- The soul is a breath of living spirit, that with excellent sensitivity, permeates the entire body to give it life. Just so, the breath of the air makes the earth fruitful. Thus the air is the soul of the earth, moistening it, greening it.
- There is the Music of Heaven in all things and we have forgotten how to hear it until we sing.
- Underneath all the texts, all the sacred psalms and canticles, these watery varieties of sounds and silences, terrifying, mysterious, whirling and sometimes gestating and gentle must somehow be felt in the pulse, ebb, and flow of the music that sings in me. My new song must float like a feather on the breath of God.
- When the words come, they are merely empty shells without the music. They live as they are sung, for the words are the body and the music the spirit.
Who's Who Profile of Hildegard of Bingen
Directory of Quotes from the Middle
About the Quotes